A little background on why I named this blog what I did.

I should probably do a little explaining on my title of this blog. First my last name is White. Therefore I live in the "White House." Living in the "White House" makes me the 1st Lady. My physical address says I live in Westwood Ca. (not the one by Los Angeles) but a little mountain town in Northeastern Ca. However I really live in a section out of Westwood known as Pinetown. With all the joking going on between my friends, I inevitably became Pinetowns 1st Lady living in the "White House." With all that said, this is just going to be a more personal blog of my life here in Westwood/Pinetown. My family and friends being a big part of it.
Originally I really wanted to take a picture a day for one year and post it on this blog. Perhaps like a photo diary. My life though is quite quiet and perhaps is not photo worthy for a picture a day but I plan on trying. So why not hop in and take a ride with me through little mountain town U.S.A. You may just love it as much as I do!
Photobucket

Allison

Going Postal Day 67

Living in this small town can bring some things that are down right taken for granted in most any place I have been to in the U.S.A.! That would be home delivery of mail.We only have our Westwood Ca. 96137 United States Post Office and not a soul to deliver it to our homes. Frankly however the Post Office is a great place to see people who are about town, usually the parking lot has 5 to 6 cars in it at any given time (or so it seems), today was different as there were only 2 and one was my husband waiting on me to take these pictures.
The town of Westwood has no sidewalks. The only one is the short one in the row of stores starting with Young's Market, and the one you see above. Back in what I think was the spring of 1992 or 93' they built this new one above. Wow our old Post Office was so small in comparison. Looking back it was almost prehistoric, Hell it probably was, I will have to look into that! Anyway this indeed was a very welcoming addition to our town.

It just so happened to be the year that Roller Blades were all the rage. The local kids that had not got them for Christmas, were getting them in this spring! Oh and did the kids love them. This town is so small anyplace is in walking distance! You would see the boys and girls roller blading up and down the streets. They all loved it so. BUT there were no sidewalks like I have already said, and I know these two little boys, one was 9 or possibly 10 and his little brother who was 5 or 6 years of age! They were roller blading to the Post Office which was less than a block away from their home for their mom. The new Post Office if I recall everything correctly was only opened a day or two before. So they were excited about this, looking for the new P.O.Box # with the shiny new key in this new beautiful building. Ahhhh, but it did not stop there . Noooo ,

Those brand new shiny high gloss, newly waxed floors were more than they could take!!!! They had never had a surface like this to check out their true roller blading skills. Can you imagine? It was heaven to them I say, as they raced and skidded and fell and laughed and giggled in this wonderful newly found playground! 2 little boys having way too much fun!

They came home from their play at this new Post Office in the back of the local Lassen County Sheriff's Departments cop car (with no mail I might add) arrested for Vandalism to a federal building. You see their little jaunt in the Post Office made fresh black skid marks on the brand new shiny high gloss, newly waxed floors of this brand new Post Office. The oldest of the two was taken to Juvenile hall 27 miles away in Susanville, and the little guy was released to his parents. A day or two after this happened this sign was posted and still is to this day, over and over again down the whole length of this Post Office on the outside of the building

And why should I know all this? Because they were and are all mine. My sons Troy and Hunter E. Although Troy was released the next day, dear old mom and dad had to spend a downright pathetic amount of money to have a professional come in and take those scuff marks off the floor. Add to that some fines and on and on. What they did was wrong, and of course I am not denying that. But I can't help but wonder had it not been my boys, how soon it would have been before some other little boy or girl would have found their "floor of dreams" in the height of the Roller Blading craze in a town with no sidewalks!
Since then Troy has gotton married, did a 16 month tour over in IRAQ , and Hunter just got hired for a second job. So all in all my boys and the town of Westwood survived, but I do smile a little smile when I see this sign and think of two little boys having one helluva great time!
No need to comment on the dangers that could have happened. We all are and were acutely aware of that, but 16 years later it does make me smile!
Sometimes little boys just want to have fun!
You can find out more of what Troy has been doing by clicking here and here or both of them for that matter by going to Just My Day Blog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy Hi!
I would love to hear what you have to say. Why not leave me a comment?
Allison


View Larger Map This is where I live. To the right of Westwood barely visible is the little section I live in called Pinetown. We have probably 150 to 200 people for our population. Westwood on the other hand is HUGE by comparison with a population of around 2000!
Photobucket
Add to Technorati Favorites
Help end world hunger
Added on 2-9-09


A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!

A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!
Lots of Hugz and PEACE!!!