A little background on why I named this blog what I did.

I should probably do a little explaining on my title of this blog. First my last name is White. Therefore I live in the "White House." Living in the "White House" makes me the 1st Lady. My physical address says I live in Westwood Ca. (not the one by Los Angeles) but a little mountain town in Northeastern Ca. However I really live in a section out of Westwood known as Pinetown. With all the joking going on between my friends, I inevitably became Pinetowns 1st Lady living in the "White House." With all that said, this is just going to be a more personal blog of my life here in Westwood/Pinetown. My family and friends being a big part of it.
Originally I really wanted to take a picture a day for one year and post it on this blog. Perhaps like a photo diary. My life though is quite quiet and perhaps is not photo worthy for a picture a day but I plan on trying. So why not hop in and take a ride with me through little mountain town U.S.A. You may just love it as much as I do!
Photobucket

Allison

How I ended up in Westwood

When I met the man that would become my husband Ed, we both did not want to live in southern Ca. anymore. We lived on the border of Los Angeles County and Orange county. We grew up just perhaps 1/2 mile away from each other, however did not meet until I was 16. I am sure this was due to the fact we were from different counties, thus going to different schools. Plus he was 7 years older than I. We both longed to move up north, actually planning on moving to Bend Oregon. On our way to check out what Bend was like , we stopped in the town of Westwood, to see a friend Wesley and spend the night. It was an absolutely freezing cold snowy night when we stopped. The next morning we went out to breakfast in the only restaurant that Westwood had. When we walked in with our friends Wes and Mandy, everybody in that little coffee shop was so nice. We were introduced several times. It was bitter cold that morning but the little Cafe was toasty warm. I do not remember exactly what I had ordered that morning except I remember it came with what was called, home fries. I could see the cook from where I sat and I watched him scrub potatoes and then cut them up and cook them, right then and there fresh. This may sound odd to who evers reading this, but up to that point I had always been a waitress, working for Sambo's (Does anyone remember Sambo's?) and Dennys . Their hash brown potatoes in those days were frozen patties that were (if I remember right) pre-cooked and then they were heated up from the frozen state. So when I saw this cook scrubbing a real potato I just could not believe it. I was young and quite impressionable, and I tell ya, that cook and his fresh potatos really impressed me. When we were done eating breakfast we said our "see ya later's" to our friends and headed on up to Bend Oregon to check it out. It is strange because we never really needed to make the rest of the trip up to Bend that day because I knew right then and there I had just found the town I wanted to live in for the rest of my life.
And so far that is what happened. Ed and I came back and moved to Westwood. We had 3 sons in this town. Cancer took Ed away from us 11 years ago. He is buried up here in the Westwood Cemetary right amongst the trees. Our kids are grown and only one still lives here in Westwood along with my first born grandson. I remarried 5 years ago and I now live over in  Pinetown. And I still love it up here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Allison,
Thank you for your website - I found it this morning and have enjoyed reading and viewing your photos with my cup of coffee. My husband and I have spent many vacations in Westwood, since the 70's, and have a small place near Birch and Hwy 36. We LOVE the friendliness of the neighborhood - and agree that Westwood is "wonderful". Maybe we'll bump into you during our next visit in September - hope to see you at the chili cook off : )
Thanks again!
B. Snow, Los Gatos, CA
(FunGramee@gmail.com)
7-13-09 AM

Mike Logan said...

Dear Allison,
What a cool website...I have visited Lassen County on several occasions. My reason for being there was to locate my Dad's (Luther Logan) gravesite. He was found shot to death in a Western Pacific boxcar in Westwood in July of 1971. I never did find his grave marker or do I know who his murderer was. Anyway, I'm going to explore your website some more because it's quite unique. mlogan@infowest.com www.mikesgravesitemaintenance.com

Post a Comment

Howdy Hi!
I would love to hear what you have to say. Why not leave me a comment?
Allison


View Larger Map This is where I live. To the right of Westwood barely visible is the little section I live in called Pinetown. We have probably 150 to 200 people for our population. Westwood on the other hand is HUGE by comparison with a population of around 2000!
Photobucket
Add to Technorati Favorites
Help end world hunger
Added on 2-9-09


A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!

A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!
Lots of Hugz and PEACE!!!