A little background on why I named this blog what I did.

I should probably do a little explaining on my title of this blog. First my last name is White. Therefore I live in the "White House." Living in the "White House" makes me the 1st Lady. My physical address says I live in Westwood Ca. (not the one by Los Angeles) but a little mountain town in Northeastern Ca. However I really live in a section out of Westwood known as Pinetown. With all the joking going on between my friends, I inevitably became Pinetowns 1st Lady living in the "White House." With all that said, this is just going to be a more personal blog of my life here in Westwood/Pinetown. My family and friends being a big part of it.
Originally I really wanted to take a picture a day for one year and post it on this blog. Perhaps like a photo diary. My life though is quite quiet and perhaps is not photo worthy for a picture a day but I plan on trying. So why not hop in and take a ride with me through little mountain town U.S.A. You may just love it as much as I do!
Photobucket

Allison

Burning down the house Day 34


For myself, I have problems on some days most days trying to be able to take a picture of some interest or at least something to do with the post of the day in this, my attempt of posting a picture a day for 1 year for this blog. Today , I can say things could have been far, far, worse. You see, I did one of the stupidest things I have done for awhile, that was down right dangerous actually.
Westwood announced that the electricity was to be shut off in Westwood while they work on the relay station. The rest of Lassen County was not going to be affected. This was to be at 5:00 A.M. today until 2:00 P.M. this afternoon. Announcing in this town is by way of writing about it in our local newspaper. The Westwood Pine Press, our once weekly newspaper or by way (and the more popular way) on the front doors of our local post office and our local and only grocery store, Youngs Market. Know ing the impending electrical shut-off, I rounded up my unlit candles and placed them all around the house. This was of course for safety reasons. I asked my husband to wake me if he needed to get up in the early morning hours.I would then light the candles for him so he could see good enough to walk say to the bathroom or play "Let the dogs out," our dogs favorite very early in the morning routine. We actually have a street light on our street but it is constantly out. Living where we live, It is down right black in this house and outside whether it is in the middle of summer or winter. It makes no nevermind. And yes, we have flash lights but thatis not only another post, it is another story.
I awoke briefly roughly around 5:30 I think and all was quiet and dark, very, very dark. When I awoke for good this morning at 8:00 A.M. My husband was watching T.V. So the electric being off ended up not being an all morning long thing, of which I am glad.
Except for the reason for this post. One of the places I put an unlit candle was on the top of our wood cook stove that we have in our hall way which heads towards our bathroom. The candle was the biggest I have because this is the darkest part of our home when there is no electricity. It was set on a heat proof plate, blah, blah, blah. The problem? I lit the hallway cook stove this morning as it was really cold in here this morning. Our main heating wood stove that we place in the living room is not in there yet. We take it out every spring/summer just so we don't have to look at it when we are not using it. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the rest of the story. Yep, I went in to take a shower and when I got out, there burning and dripping and smoking and burning and dripping and smoking some more was my biggest candle on it's side right on the top of the wood stove. Our old cook wood stove has an actual shelf on the top of it and that is where I placed the unlit candle. Why and how it shimmied off that shelf and onto the top of the stove I am not sure. The one thing I am sure of is that what I did was dangerous, stupid and just plain dumb! AND the one picture I am so glad I did not post today, was a picture of my house burned down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy Hi!
I would love to hear what you have to say. Why not leave me a comment?
Allison


View Larger Map This is where I live. To the right of Westwood barely visible is the little section I live in called Pinetown. We have probably 150 to 200 people for our population. Westwood on the other hand is HUGE by comparison with a population of around 2000!
Photobucket
Add to Technorati Favorites
Help end world hunger
Added on 2-9-09


A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!

A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!
Lots of Hugz and PEACE!!!