A little background on why I named this blog what I did.

I should probably do a little explaining on my title of this blog. First my last name is White. Therefore I live in the "White House." Living in the "White House" makes me the 1st Lady. My physical address says I live in Westwood Ca. (not the one by Los Angeles) but a little mountain town in Northeastern Ca. However I really live in a section out of Westwood known as Pinetown. With all the joking going on between my friends, I inevitably became Pinetowns 1st Lady living in the "White House." With all that said, this is just going to be a more personal blog of my life here in Westwood/Pinetown. My family and friends being a big part of it.
Originally I really wanted to take a picture a day for one year and post it on this blog. Perhaps like a photo diary. My life though is quite quiet and perhaps is not photo worthy for a picture a day but I plan on trying. So why not hop in and take a ride with me through little mountain town U.S.A. You may just love it as much as I do!
Photobucket

Allison

Lassen County's Shoe Tree Day 50

Without sounding presumptuous, I would have to believe that anyone from Lassen County who has travelled to Nevada on 395 south has seen the infamous (maybe only locally) shoe tree. I have been traveling that highway since 1977 and I don't recall not seeing it, however in those early years of me falling in love with Lassen County, I perhaps was not on the lookout for a shoe tree. I know it has gone through "changes" not just the tree itself, but legal etc. It has been "de-shoed" a few times. There have been "threats" of reprimand if caught "shoeing" the tree if I recall right.





It has a circular drive in/through for a person to check it out. It is also quite rare (on my trips past there) that you do not see someone sitting below it in the shade (of the shoes) by the looks of the tree this trip. Nor to not see a family out taking pictures of it. It just so happened that it was my turn today to play the "tourist" and stop there to take pictures. For me it is a piece of Lassen county history.


To law enforcement officers and the county clean up crew (which I am going to go out on a limb here ) no pun intended, that it is the prison crews that have to clean it up, that it may be more than that.















For my self it is an innocent and enjoyable sight to see when passing through these parts!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my name is Lisa Kumar..last name was Augello back in the day..I just ran across your article about the Shoe Tree...Id like to say thank you for keeping the story alive..I am the one who threw the first pair of shoes in that tree..i started it as a memorial to the original shoe tree (the cottonwood tree near Ravendel Ca.) that someone had maliciousy cut down..There is a couple of letters to the edotor in the lassen Co. Times backing up my claim..thank u again

Post a Comment

Howdy Hi!
I would love to hear what you have to say. Why not leave me a comment?
Allison


View Larger Map This is where I live. To the right of Westwood barely visible is the little section I live in called Pinetown. We have probably 150 to 200 people for our population. Westwood on the other hand is HUGE by comparison with a population of around 2000!
Photobucket
Add to Technorati Favorites
Help end world hunger
Added on 2-9-09


A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!

A great big Thank you to Cheryl for this friendship award!
Lots of Hugz and PEACE!!!